*Note: :) This is a kinda content heavy post... Not just the usual day-to-day goings-on....
I can't believe it. I've been home from my mission about 2 1/2 years..
But that's not the part that is really hard to believe. What amazes me and blows my mind is one person: Jose Sanchez.
Now you might ask, "what's so special about him?" Let me tell you.
When my companion Hermana Collett and I first met Jose, he was a 16-year-old kid, and to be honest, looked like he was no different than any other punk kid his age. But we gave it a shot and taught him and his mom the first lesson. Then we went back again. And again. He prayed about the things we were teaching him and about the Book of Mormon. He committed to baptism in just a few weeks. In short, he was so amazing and prepared, I had a hard time believing it was real! His mother Maria gave permission for Jose to be baptized. And although Maria knew what we taught was true, she wouldn't commit to be baptized herself because there were certain changes in her life that needed to happen, but she just wasn't ready to make them yet. But as the time of his baptism drew closer, we were excited for Jose, yet still nervous about how well he'd do after baptism, and as the only member of the church in his family.
Then on April 10, 2009, Jose Feliciano Sanchez entered the waters of baptism in a chapel in Mesa, Arizona. It was a beautiful, sunny, and as close-to-perfect day as I could have imagined. Jose had support from friends, his mom, and seven-year-old cousin Jessica. It was a simple and beautiful baptismal service. My companion by that time was Hermana Lopez and we sang a duet together--oh, and by the way... she's a recording artist! I have her CD ;)
Hermana Collett, Jose, Maria, Jessica, and myself at his baptism!
This picture was taken shortly after Jose was baptized. He was asked to bear his testimony at a firesie, and his abuela came to listen.
Anyways, a little more than a month later, I finished my mission and returned home. It was so hard to leave the people I had come to love through my service there, and I was anxious for the welfare of those I had taught, and especially of the ones who had been baptized. I was already aware of several recent converts who had fallen away and become less active and it broke my heart when I learned of their situations. In other words, although Jose was an awesome kid, I wouldn't have been surprised if the same thing had happened to him.
In thinking back to leaving the mission, I found a note Jose gave to me just before I left. Part of it says:
"I am very happy to have met you. I want to thank you for the service you are giving to our Padre Celestial. Also for teaching me the great Plan of Salvation our Heavenly Father has for us.....
I want you to feel proud and good about yourself because you have done something great in my life- you showed me the light. Thank you Hermana Epps, I appreciate your teachings. But I ask that you pray for me so I can stay strong in my faith and never lose it."
Over the past couple years, Jose and I have had sporadic contact at best, but he and his family have never been too far from my thoughts and almost always in my prayers. More of my thoughts from the past few years have been the questions "Was it worth it? Was I a good missionary? Was the Lord pleased with my service and sacrifice?"
Although I've had my moments of doubt regarding the worth and value of myself and of my service as a missionary, I can now confidently answer "yes" to my questions and doubts. It was worth it, the Lord was pleased, and I was a good missionary. And although I had many amazing and wonderful experiences on my mission, Jose is who made it completely and entirely worth it.
On Monday, January 23, 2012, Jose left behind Mesa and his mother (who still isn't baptized) and became Elder Sanchez. He is serving in the New Mexico Farmington Mission, Spanish speaking. He has received his patriarchal blessing, the Melchezedick Priesthood, has been through the temple, and has the faith that while he is serving His Father in Heaven, his mother will finally enter the waters of baptism as well. He is such an example to me.
I had the chance to speak with him on the phone a few minutes on Sunday night, and he told me that Hermana Collet and I are his angels because we brought him the truth. I don't have the words to express my gratitude that now he can be someone else's angel too.
The gospel truly is amazing and brings such blessings to our lives. Having grown up in the church, I have taken it for granted so many times, but to people like Jose, it's not something to take for granted- it's something to cherish and live everyday. I pray that the Lord blesses him in his missionary service and that each of us may do our part to bring precious souls unto Christ.
Thank you Jose for your wonderful example!
I love this story Marie. Thanks for sharing! What an impressive conversion and to know that it will continue to bless the lives of others is an amazing heart warming feeling.
ReplyDeleteThanks Brenda! I can't even express how humbled I feel at being just a small part in this. Jose was so prepared, all we had to do was teach and he soaked it up.
ReplyDelete